Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Swarovski Thailand Piece...

This entry should be (for maximum truthfulness) called, "My Sparkling New Ideas Create Your Style with Crystalized - Swarovski Elements Thailand Competition Piece That Never Was..." but it was a bit of a mouthful and too long for a blog title. That, and it was eventually completed (just never sent in to compete). I didn't want to spend all that time working on it, just to shelve it somewhere without anyone ever seeing it. So here it is, in all it's sparkly glory:

While working on my "Urban Jewelry" book, I created a wire-wrap pattern that I wanted to utilize and expound in this necklace. I was originally inspired by chain-link fencing. In my competition piece, I wanted to create a fun, funky, and hip asymmetrical slightly-chaotic stunner that would layer the "fence" motif.

I used a combination of various shapes and colors of Swarovski crystals to achieve the final product. It incorporates a range of bicones, rounds, and rondelles in different sizes. The composition is primarily made-up of siam colored crystals, with sassy fuchsia accents and a blend of tanzanite and white opal colored crystals to compliment the silver wire work. All of the crystals and wires come from Fusion Beads. Going along with the Thai theme, I used a sterling silver clasp by Saki Silver.

I couldn't find a model this early in the morning before work, so I put it on for the picture to give a feel for it being worn. I don't think I did it justice! Ha. Although it looks fairly jumbled together, it was highly premeditated and hopefully comes across as a confident and artistically designed piece. Perhaps I'll save it for next year's competition...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How long did that take you to make? thats lovely it looks like it took a long time! I know for me string is sometimes tiring.
Jan

Andrew Thornton said...

It seemed to take FOREVER! Well, actually not that long. When you wire-wrap as much as I do, it actually goes pretty quick. Also, it's all broken down into various components, so you sort of go into the zone while making the little bits that eventually fit together.