Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Flooded...

Late last night, it began to rain. It was a torrential downpour. I woke up to the sound of thunder and flashes of lightning around 5 AM. Since it had been so hot all week long, I left the windows open. The cooling cross-breeze pulled in what seemed like gallons of water. Needless to say, there was much mopping to do early in the morning before I had to go to work. But this was just the beginning...

After I mopped the kitchen, bathroom, and my roommate's room (he hasn't moved in yet), I got ready for work and with my trusty umbrella attempted to go to work. The L train was flooded, so all underground train services were suspended between Brooklyn and Manhattan. So, I took a bus to the bus depot. When the bus passed over the BQE (Brooklyn/Queens Expressway), we saw HUGE lines of traffic stretching back for miles as parts of the highway were completely submerged in water. Then when we finally got to the bus station, we saw hundreds of people in line for already packed buses.

The Williamsburg bus station in near the JMZ line, which is a raised train. I thought perhaps that I could catch a train there.

Left: Line of weary morning commuters waiting to get on the stairs of JMZ platform.


The trains that did come into the station were filled far beyond capacity. The spare trains were delayed from people trying to crowd into them and from signal delays.

Right: Commuters waiting for the next train.



Eventually, I gave up on public transportation and decided to just walk to work. The heat and humidity were sickeningly oppressive, making the air hazy and thick.

Left: Shot of the Williamsburg Bridge, with the now defunct Domino Sugar Factory in the background.

Several hours having passed, many miles walked, and even more stories from the shuttle bus to 14th Street, I finally made it to work in a sweat-drenched heap already ready to go home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really feel for you! Im so sorry for your day what a bummer. Im sure you were so glad to get home!

Andrew Thornton said...

Even though the morning was pretty horrible, it wasn't so bad. After the first bit with the L train, I just started laughing at everything. And everything seemed to be like one big joke. I did get angry a lot though at people. For instance, if you're fit and young, you should give up your seat for someone who is old and can't keep their balance. I think this is common sense, but apparently not so much. Also, I'm one of the people who usually stands to let others have a seat. It's just in my nature unless I'm reading, but I can usually do that standing up too. Anyway, if I'm going to give up the chance to sit down, please don't push me. You don't have to push. The seat will be there if you say, "Pardon me." Manners is what's lacking. Also, don't stand in the middle of the aisle near the door. People can't get in or out and it's no good. OH, and people not following the diagrams on the walk-ways. If the little person is walking on one side, you should walk on that side too! Otherwise people get clipped by bicycles.

I was glad to get home. I was so tired. But it could have been worse.