Monday, August 28, 2006

Dead Batteries...

It rained today and it rained yesterday. I feel bad for the DesignStar competitors. They had to work out in the nasty weather!

Here is the link to their site: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_design_star_2006

The actual finale doesn't air until September 10th.

I was going to take pictures of the last two rooms, but the batteries in my camera were dead. Also, I think they were stopping folks from taking any pictures that might be leaked out.

Here is what I gathered: The finalist David's room was a stylish, Asian-inspired, modern bedroom. Alice's room was a shared children's bedroom. I liked the former MUCH better. The lines were clean, he incorporated lots of different textures, and gave the room a real elegant and sophisticated personality. It had beautiful pieces and it looked expensive. Alice's room left a little bit to be desired. If she decided to do this room on purpose, I think she failed horribly. My biggest problem begins with a common ideological dilemma with rooms designed for children. Most are designed so that they become a cliche stereotype. If you put lots of bright colors and bad, poorly done art on the walls and repurposed furniture, then it becomes a children's room. It lacked any kind of depth and all of it looked cheap. I could tell that some of the pieces were indeed expensive, HOWEVER, the combination made the room look tacky and filmsy. A lot of the final touches looked like after-thoughts in her room. David's room had these really cool planter boxes filled with riverstone rocks and glass, and two of them were positioned inside the glass room and two of them were put outside and in such a way that it looked as though it was either two giant boxes, or that there was a mirrored effect. Either way, it looked really thought out and GOOD. In Alice's room, she slapped down two baroque potted plants that didn't go with the room.

I hope that David wins. I haven't seen the show and don't know anything about the folks on it, but on design alone... I definitely know how I'd cast my vote.

No comments: