Saturday, December 04, 2010

Whirling...

It's been a get-it-done sort of past few days. This pleases me to no end. I've finished projects and made some major headway on others. Hallelujah! The trade off is that I haven't been sleeping very much. (Ergo the above picture taken in the pre-dawn hours.) Normally I would be running out of steam and feeling awfully cranky at this point, but the excitement of actually crossing things off my list is powerfully and strangely energizing! I've been whirling around like a top wound tightly and released. Spinning from one station to the next.

The studio to the outsider would look like absolute chaos at this point. But for me, who has been working on it pretty consistently for the past few weeks, there is a method to the madness and the vision of organization is materializing.

The studio has really gotten the priority seat on my to-do list. I had some deadlines last week and needed to make a bunch of things. When it took four times as long, because I was looking for everything... I knew that I needed to get everything straightened out pronto!

One of the other projects that I've been working on are the handouts for the workshops this winter in Tucson. This coincides well with the organization of my studio, because I've been taking notes for months now and they are beginning to resurface. This is delightful, as I won't have to reformulate just what I meant again. I can just compile the ragtag pile of scribbles and diagrams and smooth out the edges.

I'm really looking forward to the workshops. We're having two sessions that sandwich the Gem Shows and I think they're pretty revolutionary. I love the idea of immersion workshops, where the goal is to have the most fulfilling and enriching experience possible. The magic of them is that it's a once in a lifetime event. It's true that the future holds a seemingly infinite number of workshops, that there will be countless more Gem Shows in the future, and Tucson will be Tucson... but what are the chances that the stars will be in the same position, or that the breeze blows the same way or that your fellow travelers will be the same? What are the chances of the you being the person you are at this moment again? Because that is exactly what we're going to do! Our mission is to live and breathe in these fleeting seconds, minutes, hours, days... to hold out our hands and run our fingers through the silk of time and catch hold, to examine the warp and weft and then fling it into the desert winds.

2 comments:

Sally Anderson said...

That photograph is drop dead gorgeous! Just sayin"... --SallyA

Shai Williams said...

Oh I so wish that I was able to go to Tucson this year but I really need to get bills paid off so that we can purchase the house. Life is definitely trade-offs even if I don't like the deal.