Saturday, December 18, 2010

Grace...

I like to load down the feeder with seed and suet and watch the birds descend. They are thickest in numbers in the early morning. It is quiet then – save for their calls and cooing and flaps of wings. The big mourning doves and big bluejays usually crowd out the smaller birds, who wait patiently or sneakily swoop in. It boggles my mind just how much work they do to survive. They are constantly hunting and pecking for food and evading being devoured... and yet they accomplish all this gracefully.

I think this is how I would like to lead my life: to do much and do so seemingly effortlessly and full of grace. Usually I feel so clumsy and crude. To me, it feels like all my efforts come across a labored and overworked. Grace in all things is what I strive for.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

You come across in your blog as a very humble and graceful person. It always feels like a small oasis of calm when I visit your blog. Beautiful picture - amazing shapes that birds create when in flight.

Spirited Earth said...

andrew you are some kind of crazy good photographer..
the natural world(unfortunately not including humans) has a natural ,inherent(?)instinct
to grace in their environment..

Elizabeth said...

Birds have always mystified me and relaxed me. Love them.

Unknown said...

Aww yes such gracefulness in this beautiful bird! My grandfather always had logs and some of them with gaping holes and in them he stuffed suet. Loved watching the birds! Suet where do you get it..I presume only from a butchers shop nowadays?!

Shai Williams said...

Just your caring and how you share of your time and talent elevates you to a state of grace already Andrew.