Friday, August 03, 2007

At the Open Studios...

Last night I had the pleasure of going to the July Session Open Studios at the School of Visual Arts for their Summer Residency Program. It was a little over-whelming trying to see everything, as there was quite a bit of work being shown (all spread out over different floors and different buildings). However, I did my best. I ran into one of my idols, Danica Phelps. It was so nice to see her again. I got her books a few months ago and look at them often, as they are so sensuous and beautiful. I also ran into Donald Sheridan and a gaggle of others.

It was a lot of fun. I just wish I had more time to see everything and investigate more.

I haven't seen Mary Murphy in quite some time. I first met her when I did the residency four or five yeas ago. It was good to see her again and catch up. She's making very provocative and sexy paintings these days. They feel very fleshy and very pink.

Left: Mary talking with her husband, Richard and a passerby in front of her new paintings.

At the last Open Studio event, I saw George Towne's work. Unfortunately, I didn't see him. So I made a point of meeting up with him this go. While I was there, I ran into Andy Stone.

Right: Andy Stone, Editor-in-Chief of L.A. Confidential Magazine, and George Towne in front of George's new lithographs.

I stopped by Karina Contreras' studio, but I didn't see her. Jen Tong, my lovely companion for part of the evening, told me that Kar was out at dinner with someone. (Oh, Jen just released a new page of her comic, Orifice. CLICK HERE to see page 28.)

Left: An unfinished self-portrait by Karina. Her new work looks really great!



After I finished up at the painting studios, I high-tailed it on over to the Sculpture center to see Christy Zucarelli and her new work.

Right: Christy Zucarelli with two of her black paintings on dry-wall.


Left: An installation view of Christy's new white works. She's using a subtle and minimal vocabulary, but I think with maximum effect. So much of it ressonates as evidence and actions.

Afterwards, Christy and artist Cyriaco Lopes went to the Wai Cafe for a drink and discussion. On the way home, I introduced Christy to a bar called the Wreck Room and to the Brooklyn Life Cafe across the way.

No comments: