Sunday, June 17, 2007

Renegade Craft Fair...

Today I headed out to the Renegade Craft Fair: Brooklyn held in the old McCarren Park Pool. It was pretty hot and I felt a little bit brain-damaged by the heat, but it was a good time. I picked up lots of goodies!

Left: Here's a quick snap-shot of Jamie Fales of Noosed Kitty. With her sense of dark-humor, she creates sensitive drawings and paintings that modernize seemingly mythological subject matter.

Check out her blog to get the latest information and musings of this Long Island-based artist.



Right: This is one of the goodies that I picked up at Jamie Fales' table. It's a greeting card, but I think I might frame it to go along with my Bunny Boy by Jen Tong. Make sure to visit Jamie's etsy shop by CLICKING HERE.







Left: I picked up the large version print of this piece titled, "The Watching" by Jamie Fales. I just love the little detail of the owl in the trees. You can get your's by
CLICKING HERE.





Right: This is a quick picture of Jaime Zollars at her booth. She also creates beautifully-rendered images heavily influenced by fairy-tales.

Make sure to check out her blog specifically about paper toys.




Luckily they took cards at Jaime's booth, because it was darned near impossible to find an ATM near the fair and I definitely wanted to get some things from her table.

Left: An open edition silkscreen titled, "Homeless." Get your's by CLICKING HERE. I got the button of this piece as well to add to my owl curio case.




Right: I got another print from her for my growing collection. Here's an image grabbed off her website of the large, limited-edition silkscreen titled, "The Stirrings." CLICK HERE to get one for yourself.







Left: Here is another picture taken
off Jaime's website of the greeting cards I purchased at her booth. The illustration for the cards is named, "Home." I'm really digging Jaime's work, especially her Flemish-painting inspired pieces. I will have to add them to my wishlist.







I had to fight a crowd of people hovering around Faryn Davis of Fernworks Fine Art to get a look at her resin jewelry and small-scale paintings.





Cynthia has an early Faryn Davis piece. We would go to the Fernwork website and look covetously at her pieces.

Left: I finally got one! Here is a picture of it next to a quarter to get a sense of scale.





Right: I got a limited-edition print titled, "Balanced" by artist Jane Anne Wynn of Wynn Studio at the Art Star Philly booth. Seeing all their goods at the fair made me want to go on a road-trip to their store.





Left: Here is a picture of all the (owl) artist mirrors that I got from My Favorite Mirror. I just have to figure out a way to display them now. The one on the upper left was designed by Eleanor Grosch. The one on the lower right was designed by Kathleen of Seamripper.net. The other two feature artwork by Susi Ghahremani of Boy Girl Party.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

This is really nice! I love Faryn Davis' work, her sculptures and assemblages are great, too, and Jane Wynn's work is wonderful...the Philly store looks interesting...I should go and put pictures on my blog ;-). It all looks great, though it looks like people were melting in the heat. I do think your presentation makes everything look good...maybe if you find another cool event like this, you could give some advance notice... :-)

Andrew Thornton said...

I actually didn't know until the day before. And after celebrating the night before, I didn't know if I'd be able to make it out or not. Though I'm really glad that I went.

After I went to the fair, I had dinner at the Park Lunchonette. It was wonderful! I love love love the mashed potatoes I had. They out-shone the pork chop for sure. Don't get me wrong, the pork chop was KILLER, but the mashed potatoes were divine. Super creamy and flavorful... now... I wish I had taken pictures of that. Yum yum!

Cindy said...

The word 'irrepressible' comes to mind ;-)
Check this out...http://www.hotsoupstudio.com/
(Hot Soup Glass Studio)...it's not far from Art Star Philly

Anonymous said...

GULP!
I read your blog as well as Cynthia's all the time and I am SO impressed with your works- (I bought an octopus bead years ago which is sitting on my window...I love him so...)

So you must know HOW floored I am to see my little bird print here- it made me gasp out loud~

and I love ArtStar too... THEY are a great group of artists. The gallery is fun and the location is perfect for a nice day out.

Thank you-really... for loving it as much as I do-
XoxoxoX
J a n e

Andrew Thornton said...

Hello, Jane!

I was very surprised to see your comment. I shouldn't be, since the world has proven to be so small time after time. But I am! It's really great hearing from you.

I'm glad that you enjoy Cynthia and my blogs.

I'm most likely going to get the bunny print as well. I just have to find a spare minute to make it over to your etsy shop!

Oh, and I recently got your friend's book, "The Secret of Rusty Things" and LOVE IT! It's really great. Usually when I get one of these types of books, I can flip through it and be done in about ten minutes. Of course I'll go back and find interesting techniques and sources of inspiration, but I feel really involved in Michael's book and feel as though I should absorb every page. Ha ha ha. It's good.

Anyway, thanks again for stopping by! You made my night!