Friday, April 02, 2010

Self-Portrait Friday...

I've been busy this week. One of my tasks this week was breaking up the Venus Flytrap seedlings and putting each in its own container. They were beginning to get overcrowded and I feared that they wouldn't survive unless I acted swiftly.

Above are the seedlings in their new containers and a close-up of one of them.

I've always been fascinated with carnivorous plants. Perhaps it was that they lived in conditions that no other plants could survive in by adapting and seeking their much needed nitrogen through other means. Maybe it's because they have such a wickedly bad rap. It could be that they are the closest thing to a hybrid between the animal and the plant world. Or, it could be that they devour flies, which I am not a lover of. Whatever the case, I have a fondness for the the Dionaea muscipula.

I told my mom recently that I was growing them. She replied that they "stink" and "smell so bad you think something has died". Although some varieties of carnivorous plants do emit a horrible stench, mine do not. So, here is my self-portrait smelling a slightly exaggerated venus flytrap.

The small piece (6" X 10.5") is a faux fresco done over a collage mounted on board. It has been oddly intense making these self-portraits, but I imagine that's natural when you spend a couple of hours looking at yourself, examining every detail. It has also been wonderful working with paint again. It is a challenge, no doubt, since it has been so long since I've painted figures... but I have been enjoying the process of reacquainting myself with the practice.

13 comments:

Elaine Clayton said...

Your work is fantastic! Thanks for visiting www.illuminara.com, and I'm glad I know about you and your work.

Elaine

Nicki said...

Thanks again.

Sharon said...

Beautiful painting.

Jeannie said...

Thanks for sharing this with us Andrew. This painting just blows me away.
I would love to see your work on exhibit here in Minneapolis. Like CIRCA gallery or Thomas Barry. We are the art capital of the state or world, nation. whatever.
You could do a whole series. The Andrew Thornton Effect.
Anyway I would pay to see it.

Pearl and Pebble said...

This is really beautiful Andrew. Is this oil? Wonderful light and shadow!!

Andrew Thornton said...

The painting is done in a "faux fresco" style, which means it's layers of pigment mixed with calcium carbonate, plaster dust, and paper fibers. I've always loved the look of oils, but hate the clean-up, waiting time for drying, AND the smell. Even with the new solvents, my head feels like it was just bounced like a basketball when I work with them.

Andrew Thornton said...

Jeannie, if you can arrange a show for me and my work, I'll give you a painting of your choice.

Dustin Wedekind said...

Gorgeous. wow.

nina said...

woahhhhh......andrew, this is incredible. you are amazing!!!!!!! thanks so much for being in the SP approach with me.......xxxxxx

TesoriTrovati said...

Really quite fascinating. I am not surprised that you are growing those plants. I think that they are quite incredible, much like you. Enjoy the day, Andrew!
Erin

LLYYNN - Lynn Davis said...

Have you seen some of the Tahiti paintings of Paul Gaugin - this reminds me of that feeling, the exotic and natural combined. Simply startlingly beautiful.

Unknown said...

It really is amazing to see how much you've grown as an artist. I really love this piece. It's probably silly but I there is a shine to the skin that reminds me of cellophane. I love the texture and colors and mood. I'm really impressed with how you've grown friend.

Alice said...

You're a great artist with many talents! I enjoy seeing your self portraits--this is my favorite (so far).