Thursday, April 22, 2010

Celebrating Earth Day...

I have so much to do before I leave for the Rocky Mountain Bead Society's Bead Bazaar in Denver! (If you're in the area, please stop by and say hello!) A lot is on my plate, but I wanted to do something to celebrate Earth Day. In the past, I've went to symposiums on renewable energy and sustainable materials. I thought I'd do something differently this year and more in touch with my path as an artist. I went down to the river and collected and ground down some natural pigments. I found lots of burnt sienna and ochre. Both are from iron oxides. I even found white and (a little bit) of blue. The white was from lime. I can mix that with calcium carbonate. The blue, I'm still trying to figure out. It might be from copper or might have resulted from the old, now defunct, iron furnaces nearby. I'm doubting it was lapis lazuli. It felt good to relax by the river, finding natural treasures that will be incorporated into my artwork. I feel closer and more connected to nature and my craft.

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

9 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Those are awesome finds! What a unique and personal way to celebrate Earth Day.

mairedodd said...

what a great way to spend the day! happy earth day to you...

SummersStudio said...

Oh, Andrew this is so exciting and such a beautiful way to connect with mother earth on earth day. It reminds me of collecting clay when I lived in Australia and then going through the process of seeing what it would become. Lovely, just lovely!

TesoriTrovati said...

What a great connection to the earth! Happy Earth Day to you! Enjoy the day. Erin

Cynthia Thornton said...

This reminds me of that time we collected mica sparkle powder from that river bed. It was such a beautiful champagne color, with hints of rose. I love finding pigments. What you found sounds like smalt, a by product of melted glass from factories that produce intense heat. Sounds like a good day.

Amanda said...

What an awesome way to spend such an awesome day!

Marie Cramp said...

You are an amazing person Andrew, so full of talent and knowledge!! TFS

Marie

Alice said...

A beautiful way to celebrate Earth Day and get in touch with these natural elements. I would have loved to watch the process!

belvedere beads said...

I think this is my favorite post on your blog - ever. Marvelous.