Friday, August 01, 2008

Being Wanted...

Firstly, I want to thank everyone who has sent me emails expressing worry and concern over my absence from the blog world.  My intermittent and sporadic attempts to rejoin my fellow bloggers with quotes and the like were obviously red flags of my doom and peril.  You all know who you are and I love you for your positive energy, well wishes and for keeping tabs on me.  But... I am just fine.  Over-worked and unorganized, yes, but still standing.

Two weeks ago marked the second year anniversary of this blog.  For two years, I've blogged on almost a daily basis and have met so many wonderful people through this medium.  It has provided an opportunity to continue to strengthen and fortify friendships, family relationships, and creative connections across vast distances.  I am thankful for this blessing.  I am thankful for everyone who reads my blog and shares in my daily observations and musings.  It has exceeded and far surpassed any expectation I might have ever had.

So I might not be in mortal peril or in jeopardy, but right now, I'm in a state of "In Between."  The most literal example is that many of my possessions are still in boxes and are still awaiting to be unpacked.  On a professional level, I'm waiting for my "promotion" to kick in and afford me more time to spend on my art and creative pursuits.  Speaking of my creative pursuits, I'm at a bit of a standstill.  So many ideas are swirling around in my head and are jotted down on napkins and on the backs of bills and other scraps of paper, but few of them have reached a finalized state of completion.  Making things, as many of you know, is at the very core of my happiness.  This lack of creative release, normally would make me insane.  Luckily, my home-life has been a bedrock foundation and the love and support of those I cherish has kept me from teetering off past the brink of madness.

The In Between time has not been without its own rewards.  Foremost it is the gift of introspection.  It has forced me out of the psychological coils that wrap themselves around the roots of everyday dilemmas and made me examine what is important to me.  

It also has reminded me and driven home the need to cherish the relationships in my life that give me balance and a center of gravity.  This blog, for example, has suffered due to my current state of affairs, but were it not for that... would I still be reminded of just how many people come to it and connect to it?  Would I have forgotten how much of a creative outlet this blog could be?  The state of being In Between has also prompted the sensation of being wanted - that if I had something to say or to share, there would be people to listen.  This reminded me of an article that appeared in the March 2006 issue of O: The Oprah Magazine.  It was written by Fiona Apple about her reflections on the Free Fiona movement that surrounded the release of her latest album, Extraordinary Machine.  CLICK HERE to read it. 

I can relate to some of the feelings she talks about in the article.  Where music is her solution - the making of things is mine.  Expect to see some changes here in the near future.  I hope good ones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While missing your daily musings, I understood/understand taking time out to reflect (&genuflect?!). I have a particular time of year when I very consciously concentrate on that still small voice inside...

...sometimes tiny adjustments are necessary, sometimes more significant adjustments. Nothing like moving to stir up & break up patterns we may have subconsciously formed!

Wishing you good times always

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Lynn! I feel that it is essential to take time to listen to that voice. It's the root of growth - to revisit and learn. Sometimes it's by choice, like you said you take time at a particular time of the year, and sometimes it's by happenstance... but regardless - it is necessary.

I just want to get back into the making of things.