Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 15...

"Try out the tasteful texture of chain in a pair of terrific earrings!"  This was our prompt for Day 15 of the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge.  I started off by channeling classic Lisa Levine jewelry.  I remember when she used to have a storefront off of the Lorimer stop on the L train.  I would walk by the glowing windows and marvel at her usage of chain.  She'd braid it, roll it out, and artfully tangle the links of metal, configuring lovely creations.

I think it's important that when you're influenced by someone's work to try and not bootleg it directly or copy their designs, but feel the vibe and interpret it in your own way.  For me, it was as simple as going to my chain box.  I have been collecting bits and pieces of chain for nearly ten years.  I have all kinds of vintage chain, patinated and darkened by time.  Some of the pieces are so small that they'd be almost useless for any other purpose.  I bundled up the different chain and attached them to an earwire to make dangly, tassel earrings.  They're an updated and more modern take on the costume jewelry chain tassels from the 50's.  I think they're fun and edgy and I really like the contrast of the brighter chains against the darker lengths.

If you're interested in participating or just checking out what the calendar of prompts holds, CLICK HERE.

No comments: