Saturday, October 12, 2013

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 12...

When I started beading, all I heard about was how tricky Right Angle Weave could be.  I remember stories of tangled threads, loose beads, and gapping holes.  Needless to say, the first time I attempted it, I got about a centimeter done and it looked like someone had chewed it up and spit out.  Nerves had gotten the best of me!  I decided that there were plenty of other worthwhile stitches out there and that I would shelve it for another day.

The 12th prompt in the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge said to "broaden your horizons by learning a new seed bead stitch!"  I thought that this would be the perfect opportunity to pick Right Angle Weave up again and finally learn it.


Here's my first attempt.  It's not the best, but it helped me work through the steps and conceptually grasp what I was doing.  A lot of times, I can go through the motions, but not really understand a certain technique.  I like to really "get it".  So I kept going.

Somewhere in my sample, it finally clicked.  I switched to Swarovski crystal bicones in Light Rose and started again.  It was so much easier and in no time I had finished a bracelet!  When I finished it, I thought to myself how silly I was to let the opinions of others cloud my ability to master the stitch.  Once I set myself to the task and became determined, it all fell into place.

To find out what the other challenges are for the rest of the month, CLICK HERE.

No comments: