Monday, May 06, 2013

May Day Masquerade at VOMA...

This past Saturday, Allegory Gallery participated in an event in Johnstown.  We had a table at the May Day Masquerade at VOMA.  VOMA is the Venue Of Merging Arts in the Cambria City section of town.  It's a wonderful creative space that used to be a church, but now hosts art shows, live music, and community workshops.

We heard that the powers that be at VOMA saw pictures on Facebook of our Steampunk Party we hosted back in February and that they liked it so much that they decided to have a Steampunk-themed event as well!

It was a lot of fun!  The costumes people created were very imaginative and intriguing.  I enjoyed seeing what people came up with and viewing the artwork from the show.  When I could sneak away from the table, I also really liked the music downstairs.  They had several DJs playing music and creating a raving good time.

I wish that I had taken more pictures throughout the evening, but it only dawned on me later that night that I had my camera with me.  Unfortunately, none of the pictures are captioned.  The masked disguises made it trickier to identify people.  For the people that I do recognize... well, I will leave their identities a mystery!

One of the things that I love about Steampunk is DIY spirit.  There aren't many readymade costumes available.  This forces people to re-imagine the ordinary into something truly unique and of their own making.

We're very proud that we were able to participate in this event and be a part of the action.  It was a lovely evening and so very encouraging to see so many people creatively engaged!  We loved meeting everyone and interacting with the local artistic community.

No comments: