Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Ugh....

Okay... so I know I'm supposed to be all happy and excited to leave on vacation, but I feel like my head is in a vice.  I just opened up the kiln and saw that a few of the holiday gifts I was making (not to ruin the surprise, but these cute little porcelain bowls) had exploded.  I tried to do a technique of applying the glaze directly to the greenware to skip a step (apparently this can be done with the right glaze) but something went wrong and the glaze acted as cement glue for razor sharp pieces of broken porcelain.  Maybe I didn't let them dry long enough or there were air-bubbles or.... I don't know.  Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.  Ugh.  Ugh.  Ugh.

Anyway, so the things I were going to send out have been delayed another week from when I get back.  I feel crappy about it, but at this point there's nothing I can do.  So sorry Lorelei and everyone in the gift exchange!  I will make it up to you though!

5 comments:

Ellen Lyn said...

What is the saying about the schemes of mice and men? I also tried something a little different that didn't work out so well...starting from scratch, possibly delaying things on my end but a re-focused determination will make everything all right.

Merry Christmas to you and yours! Hope you have a wonderful time with your family!! xo!

Anonymous said...

We all have things that fall apart on us...I feel your pain and frustration.
That just tells me you really need to go and relax and be w/your family...and enjoy! That's all that's important.

Mellisa said...

Sorry to hear you have kiln shrapnel! Only happened to me once and it was a too thick piece with air trapped inside...I single fire pieces on a regular basis with no mishaps (although the glaze doesn't always turn out exactly as I plan) so it certainly can be done...good luck on the next round and have wonderful holidays :)

Barbara Lewis said...

Oh, phooey! Glazes for once-fired work have to have more clay in them, but really, they have to be fired super slow ... slow ... slow ... slow. Put them in the kiln for an overnight preheat to allow for evaporation and then start with a gentle firing the next day. But don't give up on it. Try it again.

Oh, btw, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Amy F said...

No worries! Have a happy new year!