Saturday, December 15, 2012

2nd Annual Ornament Swap Blog Hop hosted by Sally Russick...

The lovely Sally Russick of The Studio Sublime hosted the Annual Ornament Swap Blog Hop again and I was lucky enough to be able to participate this year.  The rules were simple enough... create an ornament that includes at least one art bead and exchange it with a partner.  Sally paired me up with Therese Frank of Therese's Treasures!

Before I reveal what Therese sent, I'll show you what I made for the exchange.  I stayed up late in the nights working on this bad boy.  In working on it, I was reminded of a Paul Klee quote.  He said, "Drawing is like taking a line for a walk."  I sort of felt like I was taking the beads for a walk.  I didn't know how it would turn out or even how to do some of the techniques I attempted... but things just fell into place.

The focal is a ceramic snowflake pendant by Gaea.  I wrapped filigree around it and then embellished it with peyote stitch and Swarovski crystals.  From the core of the ornament, I hung a crystal coral branch, a bronze coin (that I made), a polymer clay bead from Heather Powers of HumbleBeads, and an AB crystal drop.  I attached the ornament to the beaded loop to hang it from the tree with a bead that I enameled.
Here's a close-up detail of the focal of the ornament.

I wanted to show the back of the piece as well to reveal some of the construction of the piece.

And here's what Therese sent!  She did a wonderful job at creating such a beautiful piece.  In her note with the ornament, she said that she used a modified pattern from monomint.etsy.com named Tricia's Pendant.  It features a glass ab made by Susan Kennedy of SueBeads.  On the other side, there's a rivoli.  Both sides are just lovely!  There's also a lampwork glass bead from Sue between the core of the ornament and the wire hanger.  Check it out:



Didn't she do a nice job?  I love the combination of cool silvers, watery blues and the pearly whites.
Here's the other side!  Pretty all around!

Here's a list of all the participants:

  













16 comments:

Anonymous said...

All is beautiful!
I din't know you did any stitching!Your peyote is wonderful and the additions are perfect! Bravo!

Jenny said...

I like the purples with the terra cotta of the ceramic piece! Not a traditional palette - and I find that refreshing, and very pretty. Both ornaments are simply gorgeous!

Christine Altmiller said...

Andrew, these are both Gorgeous! I love the colors you chose...unexpected and they go so well together. You made such a beautifully unique ornament. I love Therese's and how she made it 2-sided. Everything she makes is perfection and beauty :-)

Becky Pancake said...

Hi Andrew, You did a great job on your ornament. Great colors. I would be proud to hang Theresa's ornament on my tree also.

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Andrew,
First let me tell you that I so love the ornament that you sent to me and will enjoy it's beauty for years to come. I am amazed that you tried your hand at bead weaving you did a fantastic job. I am so glad that you were my partner in this ornament swap and thank you so very much for my beautiful ornament. I'm glad that you like the ornament that I sent to you.
Merry Christmas,
Therese

Bits of Learning said...

Andrew, both ornaments are beautiful, I can't believe that you both did beadwoven bezels. They are GORGEOUS!! To be honest I had know idea that you bead weave. Beautiful work! Thank you so much for participating in the swap! Have a very happy Hoilday Season.

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

The ornament that Therese created for you is really beautiful! I love the beadwork and how she combined it with other beautiful elements. Really fantastic design.

I also really like what you created for her. Beautiful beadwork and all those little treasures make it something special! Definitely an ornament that she can hang in her studio after the holiday season.

Jennifer Cameron said...

I love how Therese created a double sided ornament by using the cab and the rivoli. It's so stunning! I would love to hang that on my tree or in my studio.

And I had no idea you did beadweaving! The ornament you created was obviously a labor of love, and so beautiful! She's very lucky.

Anonymous said...

Wow- these are both so beautiful! I Love the nested warm feel of both with the beadwork around the pendant. And adore the dangly bits and crystals on yours- original!

Patti Vanderbloemen said...

Two bead weaving beauties! I absolutely love both ornaments...you both noe have wonderful keepsakes! Merry Christmas!

Maryanne said...

Your ornament to Therese is so beautiful. I love the filigree with the beadweaving! Fantastic! And, Therese's ornament to you is beautiful,too! Great additions to your trees!

Alice said...

Andrew, your ornament is gorgeous, both elgant and a bit earthy at the same time. I love the colors, and those dangles add great movement to the piece. I know Therese will cherish it for years to come.

I hope you have a wonderful week!!

TesoriTrovati said...

That is so lovely! I am always amazed at seed bead wranglers. I love the added flash of the rivoli in the snowy ornament that Miss Therese made for you! And I LOVE the filigree that is peeking out of yours. Inspired designs! Enjoy the day. Erin

Rebecca said...

Wow! I didn't know you could peyote - gorgeous work. And therese's is a stunner too!

Sandi Volpe said...

Beautiful, I am amazed at the bead weaving that can be done...fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Andrew, you and Theresa created such beautifully, intricate ornaments for each other. They are both lovely and can imagine how beautiful they are hanging on the Christmas trees. Happy Holidays@