Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Little Painted Bird...

I started this project shortly after I ran out of metal clay. I wanted to keep going, but only had polymer clay on hand. That's when I got the idea to press some out in polymer! I hand-painted each of them and coated them in layers of resin. This part took the longest, as I had to wait for the various layers to cure before adding the next. And then I wet-sanded... and wet-sanded... and wet-sanded until my fingers resembled prunes. (Maybe that part took the longest?) I then added some accents and then sprayed everything with a clear, protective spray. The result: a limited edition series of pendants.


Ten are available in my Shop! I can pretty much, without a doubt, be assured that I'm not going to make any more. While I LOVE the result, it was very time consuming and I have a book full of ideas that I'd like to start getting to work on. CLICK HERE to check them out in my Shop.

I also love this pendant, because I told myself a little story all throughout the process of making these pendants. It was the story of an artist who lived in a city and was tired of all things concrete and steel, and was most of all tired of always working. The artist would obsessively doodle and draw birds, and sometimes for fun, would hide around the city and amongst the piles and piles of work. One day the artist painted a little bird and the bird came to life. The artist followed the little painted bird into a doorway made of golden feathers. On the other side was fields of grass, forests of trees and... freedom. And here the artist lived happily with many, many, many feathered friends.

4 comments:

My Life Under the Bus said...

This is ADORABLE!!! You should try the Magic Glos - it's fantastic for poly clay and will dry in minutes under a light or out in the sun.....and sanding IS the suckiest part! lol

Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

That turned out so so so beautiful! LOL and the prune fingers..great times!
Take care!

SueBeads said...

Gorgeous Andrew, I can see why this is a limited edition!

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

Beautiful, Andrew!