Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A Modest Proposal...

I got a phone call early today informing me that I've been nominated to speak at the commencement ceremony. It's funny, because I wasn't really planning on even going. Now I'm a little bit torn with whether or not I should go to the interview and go to the ceremony. I normally don't like ceremonies like that. I guess it all depends upon what they have in mind. If they want me to give a phony speech on how the School of Visual Arts is the greatest college on earth, then I'll forgo participating. If I do it, I want to be honest and reflective with my words. We'll see how it goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yes andrew...i'm intrested to here how this goes...it is for sure something you could do...and do well...

Andrew Thornton said...

I didn't realize what an honor it is. I just talked with the director of ceremonies and she said that each department nominates one person to speak and that from those people, one candidate is chosen. So it'll be interesting. I started out mapping what I'd say. I need someone who can translate something for me into ancient Greek.