Monday, January 01, 2007

Happy New Year...


Last night, I went to a small gathering of friends to welcome in the new year. The motto of the evening: "Just drink some more."

I have discovered the very real flaw in that motto - the morning after. Even though I didn't have too terribly much to drink, it made opening the store in the morning down right horrible. I had to take, what I like to call, "moments to myself" often.

I personally don't like the idea of resolutions. I think that all they do is set one's self up for disappointment and failure. For years, I would tell myself - I'm going to do this, or I'm not going to do that... and all it would do is make me sad when I couldn't fulfill this new obligation set upon myself.

I know no one delivered of motherless perfection. Each individual is imperfect and flawed, but these "problems" are lessons. They are a road-map to real self-improvement. New Years Resolutions are usually temporary quick-fixes that result in more damage than good. To know one's self, seeing clearly both virtue and vice is liberating and ideal.

2 comments:

Paul Lester said...

Sounds like you had a lovely new year's eve. Claudine and I had an early dinner with a couple friends here in O-town! She sends her regards :)

Wishing you the best in '07!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Paul! I did have a pretty good new year's eve. The next day was the only problem. Ha ha ha!

Hopefully you two will have an amazing 2007!