Monday, October 06, 2014

Rollin'...

Sometimes it's hard to focus and that numb, creative freeze makes it difficult to make anything at all.  And then... sometimes you're in the zone and on a creative roll!  I've been on a roll lately.  I've got lots of other projects that I should be working on, but I figure that I've got to make hay while the sun is shining!

One of the best cures for creative blockages I've found is creating consistently.  When you've got the juices flowing, it's hard to keep them contained!  With this in mind, I try to make a least one thing every day.  If I can't get around to finishing a piece or even tackling an idea, I open up the sketch book and draw a line.  The line, in of itself, isn't any spectacular, but it is a reminder that I am an artist and that I am creating something... even if it's just a line.  Some of the best ideas start with a simple line.  It can be a map from Point A to Point B, a horizon, a signal to stop, a blank space to fill... a line can mean so many things.  I had a professor in college who did this and I do it too when I don't have an opportunity to create something more elaborate.

Here are some of the necklaces that I've recently made.  The first one is a mix of orange chalcedony, rose quartz, coral, brushed bronze, and a bronze butterfly clasp.  The second necklace puts the spotlight on graduated turquoise with red horn discs and carved acrylic amber at the center with a sterling silver toggle.  In the third necklace, there's a little bit of everything blue.  There's a mix of labradorite, kyanite, larimar, faceted pearls, aquamarine, copper, and shibuichi.  The great thing about this piece is that since the clasp is decorative, it can be worn in different combinations.  The clasp can be worn in the back, off to the side, or even in front.  Another piece that is like this is the fourth necklace.  The last necklace has a sterling silver bird toggle, freshwater pearls, kyanite, labradorite, and Hill Tribe Silver seashell beads.

I'm really happy with this yield.  I have a nice sense of accomplishment after making so many pieces in one night.

No comments: