Tuesday, October 07, 2014

New Kits, New Challenges...

The next few weeks are going to be busy ones for me!  I had a look at my calendar and realized that I'll be away when the next few challenges are supposed to launch.  I'll be teaching in New York and didn't know what kind of computer access I'll have.  (Plus, I anticipate it being a whirlwind trip with not much time to update blogs and add things to the online shop!)  And with it being a bustling time of year, I didn't want to throw off the calendar.  I decided to post them early and hopefully get them out early as well!

Normally I try to space out the debuts of the kits, but since they'll be coming out in quick succession, I decided to lump their launches together.  This way if participants and to be involved with more than one challenge, I can combine shipping and extend the savings to the customers.

I've been listening to the Game of Thrones audiobooks lately and have been entranced by the world depicted by George R.R. Martin.  It has made me think of other stories like "Le Morte d'Arthur" compiled by Sir Thomas Malory and The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander.  I wanted to create a challenge that was inspired by that noble code of chivalry and courtly valor.  I selected a dark palette, perfect for winter, with bold shades of burgundy wine, cold steel, and royal blues.  CLICK HERE to pre-order your Noble Knight kit.  I've set the tentative reveal date for the Noble Knight Challenge for Thursday, December 11th.

I've been having a lot of fun working with the Midnight Magic Special Challenge Kit.  It has definitely put me in the Halloween spirit.  The more I thought about it, I didn't want to pass up an opportunity to celebrate the winter holidays!  Originally I thought about doing a kit in the traditional Christmas colors of red and green, but it seemed too obvious to me and is so specific.  Not only that, but I felt weird excluding participants who celebrate other winter holidays.

So, I started to think about a kit that would celebrate the beauty of winter.  I selected a crisp, clean palette.  The kit features snowy whites, cool silvers, icy blues, wintery grays, and crystalline clears.  When thinking of the challenge, I tried to summon up the first weeks of winter, when all is transformed, as if by magic, into a winter wonderland.  I tried to focus on that feeling, when everything is still fresh, fun, and exhilarating!  (I tried desperately not to think about the latter months of winter, where it seems like it'll never end after weeks of bitter cold, shivering and ever-wet socks.)  CLICK HERE to pre-order your Star Frost kit.  The scheduled reveal date for the Star Frost Special Challenge is set for the following week on Thursday, December 18th.

If you're interested in participating in one or both of the challenges, I encourage you not to delay!  The kits are quite popular and sell out quickly!  I'm hoping to get the kits out before I leave for New York, to give participants a little extra time to work.  If you get both kits, I'll combine shipping.  

I'm smitten with the kits and can't wait to see what everyone makes!

1 comment:

Jeanne @ Gems By Jeanne Marie said...

Sadly, I think I'm going to have to waittill after the holidays to participate in challenges again. The final move is imminent and I'm excited to start fresh with a "new" house and set up my studio.