Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Novel Art Submission...

Our local library has a really cool fundraising project called, Novel Art.  The concept is that they part with old books no longer in circulation and give the decommissioned books to participants with the task of turning the books into pieces that can then be auctioned off.  The money goes towards expensive upgrades that would otherwise go unfunded, like technology.  To find out more about the project, check out the article that appeared in the Ligonier Echo by CLICKING HERE.

In the article, I'm quoted as one of the professional craftspeople who will be participating.  I mentioned a mermaid sculpture.  This is that piece.

The concept behind this piece is that "reading brings fantasy to life".  So, the mermaid is transforming from the written word into a realized creature.

This is a close-up of her face (and her jewelry that I made for her).  I created the piece out of polymer clay over an aluminum and steel armature.  I then did layers of paints and inks.

Here's the backside of the piece.  I created the base from an old shadowbox that I flipped over and decoupaged torn up pieces of old book pages.  I then did some coats of resin and stained everything with colored inks.

I'm pretty pleased with the way that the sculpture turned out.  I hope it raises the library a lot of money!

No comments: