Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 19...

On the 19th Day in the month-long challenge hosted by Fusion Beads, we were asked to work with gemstones.  I loved working on this prompt, because I love the beauty of gemstones.  Whether they rough, faceted, or tumbled, I have a weak spot for the lovely treasures of the earth.

I had a strand of morganite in my stash that I wanted to use.  It's not a super common stone.  It's a type of beryl that's usually rosy in color, but can also have blues, greens, oranges, yellows.  It's kind of like if tourmaline and kunzite had a baby.

I thought that the pale pastel colors would be ideal for a spring-themed bracelet.  So I embellished a length of hammered sterling silver chain with wire-wrapped dangles strung up with the morganite rounds.  For an added little touch, I used balled headpins to repeat the shape of the beads and jazz it up a little.  To tie it all together, I used a sterling silver cherry blossom clasp from my family at Green Girl Studios.

I think the bracelet turned out really nice.  It has a lot of great movement and I'm a smitten kitten with those morganite beads!

You can still join in on fun!  There's still about two weeks worth of challenges.  Not to mention that you can back track and participate at your leisure.  CLICK HERE for the entire calendar.

No comments: