Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Cornbread and Milk...

I was going through boxes in my studio when I came across a picture of my grandpa.  It has been a few years since he passed away and finding the photo made me miss him terribly.  So I went into the kitchen and I made one of his favorites:  Cornbread and Milk.

It's not anything fancy – kind of like him.  He never put on any kinds of airs.    It's just cornbread that's crumbled up with milk poured over it.

Later in life, he used to get really bad heartburn and this was one of the few things that he could still eat that he enjoyed without consequence.

So, I made myself some and thought fondly of the memories we shared.

7 comments:

Jane Perala said...

That's so nice, and a big coincidence because I have just put a large pan of "bread pudding" in the oven to bake - thinking about my Mom, as she used to make it all the time.

Unknown said...

my grandaddy always ate his in a glass!

Barbara said...

I love this post. It brought back so many memories....too much to type here but I did blog about it. :) http://secondsurf.com/wordpress/2012/01/25/the-times-are-always-changin/

Thanks for writing about it.

Shai Williams said...

This brings up memories. My grandmother used to make this for us for breakfast.

ZUBEAJAY said...

you made me remember my dad, he used to eat that too with white sugar. he died at 76 in 2007 and i sure miss him.

jack69 said...

Just crusin the blogs, like this one. I was thinking about corn bread and milk in a glass. I like to cut onion up in mine.
Good Blog.

Abbi said...

This post made me cry and also made me miss my grandma and really want to make cracker cereal out of broken up Club crackers, cinnamon, and sugar.