Monday, February 14, 2011

Less Than Three...

I celebrated Valentine's Day by sharing a beautiful meal and a game of Scrabble. A supremely tender roast with baby carrots and cloves of garlic was made and a colorful salad with mixed greens, sliced heirloom cherry tomatoes, grapes and olives drenched in a tangy vinaigrette, and steamed artichokes served with a lemony mayonnaise.
What a marvelous dinner!

It was nice that we could feast together. It took the sting out of the romance-centric holiday. Both of us miss our significant others dreadfully. Freedom comes with the disadvantage of longing – of missing those we love the most. I do not know what kind of person I would be were I not permitted the independence to roam and to follow my artistic Muses. I would probably be less happy and far more disagreeable.

6 comments:

dawn said...

There is a bitter/sweet quality to independence. Vig and I both travel quite a bit.....without each other.I ache for him when we're apart, but savour the chance to travel and make new friends. Nothing comes without a price.

Live.Love.And Laugh often.

Marie Cramp said...

<3 I was lucky enough to be surrounded by my loved ones, of course I was in bed recovering from dental surgery, but they still spoiled me :) My hubby with flowers and my kids with hugs, kisses and sharing some of their treats from school, how sweet they are :)

kate mckinnon said...

Part of the longing is the ache, and part of the ache is the love, and there is no 'taking for granted' in this kind of life. Each time I see him I am overjoyed, and every time we leave each other I want more. Our time together is a gift, time out of time.

I would be soft and disagreeable as well if I weren't allowed to live like a wild creature.

Andrew Thornton said...

I think we're lucky to be with people who want us at our best and respect that we have to go away sometimes. I've tried to be rooted in one place, to ride out cold winters, to have a regular job... but they make me less somehow. I admire people who can achieve these things, but it goes against the grain for me and no matter how hard I try, I can't fool myself into thinking or believing otherwise. I joke that I'm ruined for the regular world. I wonder how much of that is humor and how much is actually true.

Lynn said...

Or the other day to celebrate -- "Singles Awareness Day"!

dawn said...

Well...I can't thrive in a "regular world"....neither can Vig. Our regular would be bizaar to most people. Love :)