Monday, February 07, 2011

Blue and Gold...

Today was the last day of the shows for me. I left early. Goodbyes have become harder over the years. Perhaps it is that I have become acutely aware of just how blessed I am. It's not easy to live a creative life. There are no guarantees. No magical creature made of earth and ether appeared with a golden contract, assuring security and success. Despite the fact that there is no promise of prosperity, I am comforted that there are others out there who have made the hard decision to honor their Muse and follow their dreams. I share the road with others who dive forward into the future, with only their craft and each other to navigate the perilous unknown.

So when I see my friends and fellow makers of things, my heart swells a hundredfold. Even though working a show is far from easy and is exhausting on many levels, I feel lucky. I get a rare opportunity to interact with thousands of people, all driven with the impulse they cannot resist to create.

2 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

You've articulated something that I've felt but never quite understood- how part of the bond we share with our fellow artists is that we've often made a leap into a life that is not safe and not secure.

Gail Crosman Moore said...

"There are no guarantees. No magical creature made of earth and ether appeared with a golden contract, assuring security and success." Lovely words, Andrew. It was lovely to see you again, my friend.

As we forge forward, trusting on various levels, sometimes heartily, sometimes sharing the hope with fear.