Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Simple Pleasures...

I've been busier than a bee trying to get everything done that needs be done.  But it's important for me to stop, take some time, and make a meal.  I've found that the simple things can be the source of the greatest pleasure.  Tonight I made stewed lentils with roasted tomatoes and garlic over rice and topped with chopped sweet onions and parsley.  So simple, but so satisfying.  (Like a Quick Fire Challenge out of Top Chef, I think I'll repurpose the leftovers into a lentil soup for lunch tomorrow.)

2 comments:

Erin Siegel said...

Hey Andrew,

I always love the sound of the food you're having! Would you mind posting the recipe for this when you have a minute? or e-mailing it to me?(erin@everyheartcrafts.com) I'm always on the lookout for really good recipes. Thank you!

Andrew Thornton said...

My secret is that I use a rice cooker to soften the lentils faster. It helps them to keep their shape and the non-stick surface makes it a dream to clean up afterwards. Instead of using water to cook them, I use stock. Swanson's is good if you don't have any on hand. Cut up the tomatoes in quarters and put them on a non-stick baking sheet and put them under the broiler. Blacken the skins. Peel them off when they are done. Or they served them canned now and the difference is hardly noticeable. While the lentils are cooking, I use a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and heat that in the bottom of a saucepan. I add a couple small spoons of chopped garlic and stir around. The heat and the oil help release the flavor. Once the lentils are done I add them to the saucepan with the tomatoes and heat everything through and season accordingly. I use a lot of sea salt, black pepper, and chipotle chilies. While that's cooking on simmer, I cook the rice. Once the rice finishes, the lentil mixture should be ready.