Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Four New Premium Mixes...

I find myself compulsively making these premium mixes while I'm at the store.  It's extremely relaxing to summon an image to mind and then try and create a blend reflective of that mental picture.  Scissors in-hand, I walk around clipping strands and filling my bowl.  The best results come when I have a personal connection to the reference and hold it in my mind while gathering... sometimes whispering the name repeatedly.  It may sound bizarre, but I think it's helpful.

The concept of a "deeper well" is one that I come back to time after time.  An artist can lead a solitary life in the studio, diving into a personal headspace that can only be translated with the work produced.  The "Deeper Well" is sort of a manifestation of that place we go, deep inside.  I see it as a place that's cool and dark... perfect for seeing sparks of imagination.  I actually wrote about it in my second blog post  back in July of 2006.  CLICK HERE to read that blog post.  In creating a mix that represents this highly abstract concept, I turned to a blend of deep blues, cool grays, luminous blacks, and sparkling silvers.  CLICK HERE to read more about the "Deeper Well Mix".
When I started to learn more about plants and mushrooms (particularly edible ones), something happened.  It was an odd sense of independence that came with a closeness to the secret knowledge of nature.  Suddenly I was "free" from society and could live off the grid and amongst the wild.  Nature was generous and provided ample things to fill one's stomach with, but nature does more than just feed the body – it feeds the soul.  Thusly the idea of this mix came about... the "Good Earth Mix".  It's a combination of golden yellows, young greens and old browns.  CLICK HERE to learn more about this particular mix.
In creating these mixes, I went from as far as one can go within to as far as one can go outwardly.  I thought about the frontier of space and how the telescope pictures reveal an amorphous rainbow of inspiration.
 The "Nebula Mix" attempts to bottle and harness that otherworldly beauty of the stellar photographs with a blend of oranges and greens with a subtle sprinkling of blues.  This mix is vibrant and playful.  CLICK HERE to find out more about this particular blend.
The last blend I worked on is called the "Regina Mix".  The word "Regina" means "Queen" and I wanted to make something as richly decadeent as befitting a queen.  This mix is composed of a blend of scarlet reds, fiery oranges, and sparkling golds.  CLICK HERE to read more about this regal mix.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

YOu know your mixes are like crack for me now! I love looking at them!

Lorelei Eurto said...

Love the Regina Mix! That's rich!!

Francesca Watson said...

Loving your mixes, Andrew - these are all really beautiful!

Andrew Thornton said...

Kristen, I'm glad I'm not the only one addicted to looking at them. I keep gazing at them and twisting them around in the light. And might I add what a satisfied feeling I have when I pile all the bags up! They make a small mountain of beady goodness!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Lorelei! Now I know what to send you for Christmas!

Andrew Thornton said...

You're too kind, Francesca! I've been really enjoying making them. I'm glad that others are liking them too!

Margot Potter said...

These are truly delicious! You have quite an eye, Mr. Thorton.

Miss you, much.

Love
Madge

Anonymous said...

Love these mixes your putting together! Very inspirational!

Becky Pancake said...

Great job on your mixes. I like the Deeper well the best. It's a very kool idea.

Rebecca said...

I think that Nebula is my favourite one yet!