Monday, September 10, 2012

Nina Design's September Jewelry Design Challenge...

Nina Designs has been generously hosting design challenges on their blog.  Do you read their blog?  It's loaded with lots of interesting content and has bountiful opportunities to win free merchandise!

September's prompt was "Seven Moons Passing" by Susan Seddon-Boulet.  I really liked this challenge!  I am actually a big fan of Boulet's work and had one of her posters hanging in my bedroom when I was in high school.  Apparently Sarah Michelle Gellar's iconic TV character, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, did too!

Here's what I wrote about my inspiration for my piece, "Night of the Shaman":

I love the mystical and ethereal quality of Boulet's work and wanted to translate that into my interpretation.  I used a muted color palette with pops of color, incorporating an eclectic mix of materials.  To represent the moons, I used seven beads made out of white lotus seeds.  This "collected look" is the perfect backdrop to showcase the talismans and nature-themed charms from Nina Designs!

The "eclectic mix" I mentioned is a combination of Swarovski crystals, pale kyanite, carved bone, golden horn, Czech glass, carnelian, rough turquoise, silver headpins, bronze charms, and sterling silver charms.  I pulled it together with a bronze toggle from Nina Designs.

The cool thing about this piece is that it can be worn as a bracelet, with lots of fun movement, or you can add a leather cord and wear it as a necklace.  I used the same toggle set in the leather cord (not shown) and it fits together nicely!  I love versatile pieces like that!

Anyway, if you'd be so kind as to vote for my piece, "Night of the Shaman", I would appreciate it greatly!  There are some really lovely pieces in this challenge, including one of the store's customers "Strength of Spirit".  CLICK HERE to vote!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

it was easy to vote for you because I liked it the best of the other entries!

Sharon Driscoll said...

Wow - the skull - I'm breathlessly in love with this piece.

Heidi Post said...

Super cool! I love the idea of the leather cord with the same toggle - what a cool idea. I think it would be really fun to feel all that shaking around on my wrist :)

SueBeads said...

It's fantastic, Andrew!