Saturday, March 07, 2015

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 7

The prompt for Day 7 was to go "wild for wire".  One of my default techniques is to embellish a chain by adding on a thick fringe of wire-wrapped dangles.  I started doing that for this challenge.  I went totally top shelf for this piece.  I busted out the rubies, opals, tiny faceted labradorite, and Oregon sunstone rondelles.  I strung up the headpins and wired them on to the individual links in the chain.

For the focal, I dug out a "bone" connector that I made out of BronzClay.  Originally I had a handful of them linked together to form a chain, but it was heavy and looked a little Mr. T to me.  So I broke up the chain and started using the components separately.  This "bone" makes up the focal.  I coiled copper wire around it to give it a little more visual interest and added a wire-wrapped dangle to the bottom with an enameled headpin and a ruby-colored, leaded glass crystal bead.  I quite like it!  I particularly like the mixed metals, a shiny mix of silver, gold, and copper!

Are you celebrating National Craft Month?  If so, how are you celebrating?  Are you participating in the Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge?

No comments: