Thursday, February 20, 2014

Affirmations in Metal...

I believe in the power of giving yourself subtle reminders on leading a better and more fulfilling life through positive affirmations.  Everyday that I go into the store, I wear a bracelet my friend Heather Wynn-Millican made me.  It has a Ghandi quote on it that helps me think of the reasons why I do what I do.  It says, "be the change you wish to see in the world".  I cherish it.  Not only because it was a gift from a beautiful friend, but because it is a mantra that I try to guide my actions by.

I decided to make a few pendants with different affirmations stamped in copper.  I used the Newsprint font from ImpressArts on copper discs that I cut out with a disc-cutter.  I used the two-hole metal punch to make the holes at the tops and bottoms.  (Tip:  To make cleaner holes and make your set last long, remove your punch and put the tip into a stick of Bur-Life or even bar soap.  It'll lubricate the tip.)  I used the ball-peen side of the hammer to create an additional texture.  I was careful not to texture too close to the letters, so that the letter impressions stayed nice and crisp, without distorting them.  This is important, because when I went back to darken the letters to make them pop, I wanted them to read clearly.

I played around with my torch to "flame polish" the pendants and give them groovy, iridescent patinas. The rainbow, butterfly-wing-shimmer effect happens on the cool down.  I was being experimental and I cooked some of them a little too long, causing some fire-scale, but I dig the cherry reds and blushes of fuchsia.

I will add jump rings to the tops of the pendants for bails and fun, wire-wrapped dangles at the bottoms.  I imagine hanging them off of simply beaded necklaces or chains with a couple wire-wrapped dangle embellishments.  I might tie on some recycled sari silk ribbon for a contrasting texture and to play up the colors in the pendants.  I think they look good AND provide nice little reminders to be more positive.

6 comments:

Andra said...

They are beautiful! I love the postive vibes that come from each one.

TesoriTrovati said...

These are wonderful! To know that they are made with love and great intention would give encouragement and peace to anyone who wore them! Enjoy the day. Erin

Unknown said...

Or bead embroidered! They are gorgeous!

Sarajo Wentling said...

These are great! And you have been a blogging machine! :)

Cherie Burbach said...

Wonderful! Love the positive message on them.

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

They're beautiful and I love the affirmations.