Monday, March 18, 2013

Nature's Classroom...

Yesterday I went for the first walk around the property of the season.  Truthfully, I should have waited. It was still chilly out (patches of ice and snow could be found in shadowy areas) and the ground was pretty muddy from the recent thaw.  Winter is not quite done with us, yet.  Not even the skunk cabbages were in flower, which are some of the first to bloom and truly signal spring.  Another reason that I should have probably waited was that I also found some (fresh) large scat, meaning that creatures like bears had come out of hibernation.

I had to get out of the house though.  My fingers were numb, my nose was red and starting to drip a little, but I need to stretch my legs and search out some green.

I didn't see too much on the walk.  I spotted a few ferns left over from last year, some ground pine, and rocks covered with moss and lichen.  But mostly everything was barren or still dormant.  Something that I did see was a rock with two trees growing over it.  These young trees were determined and were going to make the most out of the spot that they had started.

As I looked at the trees, the phrase... "where there's a will, there's a way" came to mind.  I thought of this the rest of the walk.  If we believe and stretch our roots long enough, eventually we'll hit solid ground and overcome our obstacles.  Anything is possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amazing-the picture of thriving & strength. Very cool.