Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Cold...

This is the view from my porch this morning.  It snowed the night before, covering everything in the powdery white stuff.  Things should be coming to life and blooming explosively.  Instead, everything is whitewashed with cold.

The snow is pretty, but it comes at a cost.  I'm not just talking about the wet socks and extra high heating bill.  As a small business owner in a tourist town, excessive snow days can mean death.

That sounds rather dramatic, but the reality is that we walk a very fine line in this economy.  While we generally do well for a small shop, one bad thing could turn the tide.  We are growing our online store, but while it takes root, we definitely rely upon our physical location to make the numbers we need to stay afloat.  The snow acts as a deterrent.

I'm tired of the cold.  I'm tired of worrying if things will pick up.  I'm sick of having to sweep sidewalks and scrape windshields.  I just want the sun to come out and melt all these troublesome concerns and anxieties away.

No comments: