Thursday, April 15, 2010

Little Rewards...

steak potato dinner andrew thorntonI got so much done on my list that I decided to make a nice dinner as a reward. I still have mountains to do, but I feel good about the progress that was made. For dinner I made bacon-wrapped fillet mignon, broiled brussels sprouts, sauteed portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions, and roasted rosemary baby potatoes. It's more extravagant than what I generally make. When you're on a budget, usually "creativity" is the most important ingredient. You find all kinds of ways to doctor up inexpensive cuts of meat and jazz up leftovers. The seemingly random and disparate contents of your cabinets can be boiled, mashed, and contorted into the semblance of a fine meal. But every once in awhile, it's nice to just splurge and treat yourself with the most expensive piece of meat in the display case, the fancy mushrooms, and "baby" potatoes, even though the regular ones cost half as much for twice as many.

5 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Wow! I must say, that of all the meals you've shared with us, this one is right up my alley. It looks absolutely delicious!

Jeannie said...

You're a culinary artist.

Melissa J. Lee said...

Looks divine!

Cynthia said...

You deserve a wonderful meal if you got even a fraction of that list done. Frankly, I don't know how you had time to cook the meal!! Looks yummy!

Shai Williams said...

That looks so yummy! I just wish that you would share the recipes.