Sunday, August 13, 2006

View from Above...



I was sitting at one of Sheila's windows enjoying the breeze and the view. Her room has a Manhattan skyline to look out over.

If you sit and look at the Empire State Building, every now and then, you'll see a momentary sparkle from the observation deck. Each of those is a flash in the dark, trying to capture the cityscape below. Seeing this, I remembered a conversation I had with one of my photographer friends. He had told me that most of those flashes were from cheap disposable cameras and that most of those pictures would never come out. That probably thousands of rolls of film were wasted every year at the top of the building.

It made me think of when I went up to the top of the Empire State Building and took my own picture with my own cheap throw-away camera and how I waited for the pictures to come back, never to see photographic evidence of my mini-adventure to the top of the world.

2 comments:

Todd DeWolf said...

I like this photo. It has a really cool almost foggy look to it. Gives New York a different feel. Looks like your photo turned out alright. Cheers!

Paul Tuller said...

ooo neat post! Made me miss N.Y. :(

when I went to the top of the empire state building I made sure my flash was off, haha