Friday, March 06, 2015

Fusion Beads 30 Day Bead Challenge: Day 6

If you're like me, the challenge for Day 6 wasn't a far stretch.  We were asked to create something inspired by a TV show or a movie.  Whenever I'm watching a show, I try to take in as much visual stimulus as possible and make mental notes of interesting patterns, shapes, and colors.  Later, when I'm working, I conjure up pleasing details, edit those ideas and play with interesting kernels of inspiration.

For this challenge, I turned to Lady Mary of PBS's Downton Abbey.  Even though she is very fashionable and always wearing what's in vogue at the time, she's a reserved character that has dealt with a deep loss of love.  This is translated into her wardrobe with clean lines and the usage of black.  

For my piece, I kept the minimal lines of her long flapper style jewelry.  If you look closely at her jewelry on the show, there's fine repetition of pattern in the strung beads.  I created a repeating pattern as well.  I also used black vintage glass rounds, jet colored Swarokski crystals, and black glass pearls.  My interpretation is a long necklace, but much shorter than the ones she wears on the show.  It's perfect for layering and provides a nice neutral base to work off of.  I could totally see Lady Mary wearing this!

If you get a chance to create something for the challenge, let me know!  I'd love to see what you've made!  One of the fun bits of the challenges is to see how others have addressed the same design challenges.

No comments: