Thursday, November 20, 2014

Moon Garden Challenge Reveal: Andrew Thornton...

It's hard to believe that November is almost over and that Thanksgiving is only a week away.  Soon it'll be Christmas, then it'll be a new year!  Time is just slipping by.  Today is the reveal for the Moon Garden Challenge.  It was inspired by the colors found in natural moonstones, a blend of washed out peaches, cool whites, and dove grays with pops of inky black.

The kit included a mix of vintage Czech glass, shell, labradorite, crystal, opalescent glass, vintage Japanese glass, African glass, waxed linen, antique seed beads and a Luxury Bead Blend.

Without further ado... here's the piece that I made:

This isn't the piece that I originally made.  I actually started early and created an embellished chain with wire-wrapped dangles strung up with moonstone chip.  It looked quite smart, if I don't say so myself! But unfortunately, I misplaced it and couldn't find it to take a picture of it.

So... I made something new.  I used flat, square-cut natural moonstones, the faceted labradorite oval from the kit, and a sterling silver flower clasp from Green Girl Studios.  The design is simple, but I like it... especially as a backup design.

Don't forget to hop along with us and see all the creations created from the Moon Garden Challenge kit.

Paula Kramer
Carolyn Lawson
Carole Carlson
Alice Peterson
Kari Asbury
Tammy Bowman
Shaiha Williams

On Andrew Thornton's Blog:
Andrew Thornton
Crystal Lombardo Farrell
Geri Colgrove
Laurie Carpenter
Alison Herrington
Naama from Peculiaris
Laurel Ross

7 comments:

Alice said...

I love your bracelet! This has been my favorite challenge because of the wonderful bead colors and shapes.

Kari Asbury said...

Love it! It is a very gorgeous back up design...and as soon as you aren't looking for it the other will inevitably turn up. Thank you for yet another inspiring kit.

Shai Williams said...

I hate it when I misplace a design. I am currently searching my studio for some components that I need to make up.

I love your 'backup' bracelet. It has wonderful color and is one would be great stacked up with others.

Paula, Chief Bead Officer said...

Hi Andrew, Thanks for such a bountiful collection of beautiful beads! (How's that for alliteration!) And your bracelet is really lovely. I love the peachy tones of the square-cut moonstones. Thanks for your kind comments about my submittal. I was just back in PA a couple weeks ago and was trying to figure out how Ligonier could fit into my travels. Hopefully next time! Thanks again for the great challenge!

Unknown said...

I love your bracelet. You can't go wrong with simple when using such beautiful components! I would love to see your original piece when you find it.

Inner Muse Jewelry Design said...

I love the stacked gemstone slabs. I don't have any, just chips, but now I want to purchase some and make something with them. Thanks for the inspiration. Also, thank you for, yet again, another fun and challenging blog hop!!

Alison Adorns said...

Thank You for hosting this amazing hop! LOVE the colors of this mix, i will be using pieces of it for LOTS of my work! Thank you especially for all the hard work you put in!, you are such a great person for allowing us to show our work on your blog. (In Links or another such program might work out for these kits, it allows us to use our Facebook, webpage, pinterest, or instagram.)
PS I'm jealous of your great stash of beads, the flat shapes on this one are awesome!