Saturday, January 12, 2008

Illustration Friday: Stitch...

This is my submission for this week's theme (Stitch) for Illustration Friday. I've been really busy with work and haven't had much time to make anything new. So here is an old favorite of mine I did a couple of years ago. It was for a series called, Subtle Seduction. I took old images of geisha and wove them together with scans of vintage kimono fabrics. I then went over the pieces with a sewing machine and did several washes of paint and applied various layers of silver-leaf. I wanted to create a body of work that was about the objectification of artists, shown mainly through the presentation of the artifice of their craft. For the geisha, their costuming and artfulness.

Hopefully I'll be able to make more time to make new pieces for Illustration Friday, because I think that's half the fun - having a deadline and a weekly prompt to work with.

4 comments:

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

speechless! and I loved the book Geisha, did you read it.

Willie Baronet said...

Fascinating!! Nice work. :-)

neilornstein said...

lovely piece

Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Looks terrific! I would love to see a bigger version!