Friday, February 05, 2016

Laying Low...

It has been a little over a month since I last updated my blog.  This is perhaps the longest stretch of time that I've taken away from adding new posts in the 18 years that I've been sharing my thoughts online.  I've missed it.  There's a magic in ordering your thoughts and finding the right words and documenting your process.  Since I haven't been blogging, I've revisited some of my old journals and sketchbooks.  In recent years, I've become an infrequent user of them, and that has been to my detriment.  I find that I am more mindful when I'm utilizing these tools.

I've enjoyed this time to lay low and take time for myself.  Much of my journey as a person and an artist has been very public.  Taking time to ground and get back to me has been extremely valuable.  While I have relished this private time, it hasn't necessarily been easy.  I pride myself on being a working artist, someone who is constantly creating.  While I've made things and kept relatively busy, there were days when I didn't want to get out of bed or do much of anything at all.

I also think that this period of laying low has been an adjustment phase.  Over the past few years, I've built up daily routines and patterns.  Now that some of my roles have changed, I'm sort of finding out where I fit into everything and how I can fully occupy this space I now find myself in.  I've been nesting mentally and physically.

Even though it may not look like much is happening on the surface while I've been dormant, the roots have been growing deep and I'm finally peeking up from snow.

No comments: