Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Game of Thrones Jewelry Challenge Reveal 1...

Heather Powers of HumbleBeads thought it might be nice to do a Game of Thrones Jewelry Challenge to celebrate the start of the new season.  (So excited!)  I'm definitely a fan and wanted to jump on the opportunity!  Both the books and the show are so rich with detail, there's an abundance to inspiration to pull from.  CLICK HERE to read more about the blog hop idea.

When I started working, I had this idea that I would put the show on in the background and work to it.  Well... it started off like that, but then I realized that the show captured my attention a little too much... like Jaime Lannister being snatched up in the Whispering Woods kind of captured!

So... my next challenge was settling on an idea.  I had grandiose visions of articulated dragons or forged maester chains.  But I've been pressed for time lately and clearly, I had to develop a better plan of attack.

I scaled back my original vision and created this bracelet.  I dug in my stash and found this heavy silver chain... back when such things were semi-affordable.  (Which tells you that it has been in my stash a LONG time!)  I embellished it with faceted pearls, large freshwater pearls, garnets and leaded glass crystal.  I also added a garnet pendant from an old necklace and a dragon charm I made in white copper.  I pulled everything together with a shibuichi toggle from Saki Silver.  The heavy chain was inspired by the maester's chain.  (I know, each link should be different, but that's a project for another day.)  The garnet in the silver setting was inspired by the ruby that Melisandre wears.  The white copper dragon charm is a nod at Daenerys Targaryen's dragons.  The pattern on the toggle is so lovely... it reminds me of some of the embroidery on the dresses of the stone filigree in the windows.  The faceted pearls also remind me of the dragon's eggs... but mostly I selected them for the color.  There's a lot of bloodshed in the Game of Thrones universe and the color red in my piece acknowledges that.

I had a lot of fun!  Make sure to take a moment and see what others created for the challenge!  CLICK HERE to see Heather's post and all the links to what others created.  (The link for the blog hop goes live tomorrow, April 9th at 8AM EST!)

6 comments:

Alison Adorns said...

Awesome pendant!

Heather Powers said...

Okay, when you are an old man with nothing else to do you should really revisit the articulated dragon idea. That would be a serious ball of awesome! I love the bracelet, it captures the series with each piece telling the story.

AntiquityTravelers said...

Ah yes, Jamie in chains for most of a season! And those faceted stones do look like Danny's dragon eggs. I had so much fun reading the recent Entertainment Weekly section on GOT that talked about the season. There seems to be a joke on set about how to much money it costs to have dragons in the story line. But they are pretty bad ass! Love that coin - perfect add to the bracelet

Eileen The Artful Crafter said...

Wonderful, Andrew. Hmm ... that's what you create when you're pressed for time?!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see that articulated dragon too, but in the mean time this bracelet will do nicely! I do love this idea of a charm bracelet capturing themes and motifs of the show without being too literal.

CraftyHope said...

This piece totally screams GoT! I think you nailed it.