Saturday, November 27, 2010

Westmoreland Museum of American Art...

Yesterday, I stopped in at the Westmoreland Museum of American Art in Greensburg. I thought it was a good museum and will definitely go back again. The permanent collection was diverse and featured several local regional artists. In fact, I learned of several new artists who created work in or around Westmoreland county. Some of the highlights were works by George Hetzel, Hovsep Pushman, Oscar Bluemner, Violet Oakley, and Mary Cassatt.

The also featured two exhibitions, Born of Fire and Remnants, that I enjoyed quite a lot. Born of Fire is a chronicle of steel (and the people who worked with it) through art; the etchings and industrial landscapes were both familiar and haunting. Remnants is a solo show of the work of Pittsburgh artist and gallery owner, Joyce Werwie Perry. She works in encaustic and oils, utilizing her palette knife to great effect. Her subject matter is of old photographs, lending an air of nostalgia and faded memories.

2 comments:

SueBeads said...

Andrew, I love all the places you go! thank you for telling us about them! My friend Jason lives in Greensburg and I'll def. be spending more time out that way!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hopefully if you make it out to Greensburg, you email me! It'd be great to see you. Greensburg is just a short hop away.