Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Fashion Show...

I've long been a fan of Project Runway.  I like the idea of having a television show that spotlights creativity and visual problem-solving.  With Bravo losing Project Runway to Lifetime, I imagine it was only a matter of time before they reinvented the show.  Thusly, The Fashion Show.  I saw the advertisements in the subway and truth be told, I had my misgivings.  I had doubts about what gave Kelly Rowland (formerly of Destiny's Child) the street cred to constructively critique the designers.  What also troubled me was that Isaac Mizrahi's notable ego would eclipse the show and take center-stage over the real focus of the show: the designers.  (Much in the same way that Jeffrey Deitch and all the "exciting work" in his gallery usurped the spotlight in the sadly unsuccessful artist reality television show, Artstar.) Honestly, I don't think I would have went out of my way to watch it if it weren't on Hulu.

For a pilot episode, it wasn't half bad.  I kept having flashbacks of Project Runway and sort of expected to see Tim Gunn pop up at any moment.  (Which would have been a good thing, I think.)  I really appreciate that they're giving Fern Mallis a bigger role besides occasional guest judge.  She has a wealth of knowledge and experience.  I was also surprised with how much I liked the fresh and candid point of view that Kelly Rowland provided.  In particular her statement about needing "butter and a miracle" to fit in one of the designer's dresses.   Laura Brown of Harper's Bazaar also had very direct, knowledgeable, and straight-up criticism that worked well and benefits the show.  What I didn't like was the scripted parts from all the judges that seemed mechanical and robotic, delivered awkwardly and inorganically.  I also didn't like how at judgement the verdicts were a bit schizophrenic; one minute Isaac Mizrahi is saying that he's embarrassed and would have fired everyone and the next, praising and complimenting.  It seems like he needs to take his own advice about "saying very important things" the right way.

With all that said, Bravo's formula for reality-based competitions has proven to be successful at creating entertaining television and with a few small repairs and some fine tuning – The Fashion Show could be really interesting and intriguing.  I'll have to see more before the verdict's out.  Let's just say that my viewership is "hanging by a thread."

1 comment:

TesoriTrovati said...

Now how exactly did I miss this? I am a Project Runway devotee and am so saddened by the turn of events. I wanted to watch The Fashion Show, but I felt it might be a bit same old-same old. I too have my doubts about both Mizrahi and Rowland (in fact, I didn't even know who she was) but I love the format and the spotlight on the wild creativity. Never heard of Artstar before. When will they have the Jewelry Designer Accessories-off? You could so rock that world Andrew! I will have to go and set up my Tivo to not miss a minute! Thanks for sharing! Enjoy the day! Erin