Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A Night in Memphis...

On our way back to Asheville, we stopped in Memphis to stay the night with Greg's sister-in-law, Stacey. Although I was pretty tired, we had a lot of fun. Stacey is super nice and a great tour guide for a city she's only been in for a month.

Instead of driving or walking, we took a trolley! I think they're just great. The one we got on was from 1926, was almost all wood, and was from Italy. It was beautiful and the perfect (albeit relaxed) way to get around.

For dinner we went to Bluefin for sushi. It was delicious. I was particularly fond of the fatty tuna sashimi. Afterwards we headed out to The Flying Saucer Draught Emporium to check out their beer selection and boy was it impressive!
We then got a mini-tour of the "birth place" of blues, Beale Street. It was a pretty quiet night, but was easily discerned as a place known for having lots of fun and having a crazy atmosphere. We opted for a less wild time, and strolled down the street.
Greg and I decided to explore the town a bit. Memphis seems like a really great city with lots of galleries, cute shops, and a place to get yummy coffee. Unfortunately on our walk, I was distracted and hit my head into a brick wall. I got too caught up in our conversation and turned my head to say something and misjudged where the wall was. My head hurts! Ouch! It's sore and tender, but I'll survive.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your head! It's exactly the sort of accident I would have. I hope you are all safely home by now, Greg in Asheville, you in NYC.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew!
Hope your head is back to "normal"!
I want to express my gratitude to you and Greg. Thanks for the goodies. I have a piece on it's way to Stringing as we speak using a lovely GG component.

Can you email me your snail mail address and I'll send you a gift certificate for my new batik and silk beads for your designing pleasure. You can pick out the one's you want! It's a joy and honor to share with you guys as you have so generously shared with me.

I loved chatting with you guys in Tucson and have some pics to post on my blog from the party. I think you and your family are some of the most interesting and creative folks I know and I feel lucky to cross paths and share experiences once a year in Tucson!

I hope the shows went well and you're all safe and sound.

Hugs & Sparkles,
Kristal
kristal@kristalwick.com

FunkyMonkey Girls said...

Boy, I have hit my head like that several times. Not paying any attention to surroundings! I love Memphis, it is a cool city! I was there a long time ago to help my friend move back there from getting out of the Air Force. In fact I received my phone call there to let me know I got orders to Turkey in 1991. Okay, now I aged myself LOL

Funky Monkey Girl,
Jolene

Brandy Boyd said...

Glad you enjoyed our fine city! You'll have to come back some time and visit the National Ornamental Metal Museum. It's the only one of its kind in the country and I think you would like it. It hosted 'PMC Decade' a couple of years ago and often has things that make the think of your work (although i've yet to find anything that is as wonderful as you and Cynthia's creations!)

I love reading your blog every day- it's often just the pick me up i need and you are so talented, not just with the beautiful art you create but also with your words.
- Brandy

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Kate McKinnon! We got back to Asheville okay. I won't be going back to New York until the 23rd. I'm going to help out with the book some more and hopefully squeeze in a trip to visit with Anne Choi and have lunch with Nina Bagley. I would like that very much.

My head will be fine. The lump is hardly there and it only really hurts when pressure is put on it or when I chew.

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Kristal! It was good to get to know you better and I hope you have super success with all your endeavours. I'll email you some time tomorrow. We are all recovering from the trip!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Jolene!

I've always had my reservations about Memphis, thinking that it'd somehow be all country-fied, but it's a booming metropolitan with a lively arts community. It's very exciting and I enjoyed being there very much!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks Brandy for reading my blog! I love the community that this has sort of formed and all the connection that I'm afforded with various folks.

I'll definitely have to check in on the museums. That sounds like a lot of fun!

Thanks again for reading!

Jean Katherine Baldridge said...

Andrew: hope it is feeling better by now! That really hurts!

xox jean