Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Feasting Time...

We've been feasting pretty mightily lately. Our specialities differ and each one of us brings something different to the table.

Although I've mentioned it on my blog before, I don't mind saying it again: Greg is the Cookie Master! Above is a picture of some chocolate chip cookies that he whipped up. They were so good! I particularly liked them straight out of the oven - the chocolate molten and the dough still soft.

I've been on an apple crisp kick. Above is a picture of an easy apple crisp with vanilla ice cream. The topping is super simple: sugar, butter, oatmeal (I use rolled and Irish oatmeal), flour, walnuts, sliced almonds, and graham cracker crumbs. The apples were tossed in Vietnamese cinnamon, cardamon, nutmeg, and a little brown sugar.

I had candied some blood oranges and thought that I'd use them to make some blood orange glazed chicken. The above picture shows the chicken on top of a mound of rice soaking up all the sweet and tangy sauce.

Greg made the meal above: a pan seared and broiled steak, salted and sliced vine-ripened tomatoes, and fluffy mashed potatoes. The meal was great! It was very flavorful and seemed like a classic combination.

The above picture shows sliced cara cara and blood oranges. I had prepared them to make my (in)famous marmalade. I took a Martha Stewart recipe and modified it with some personal touches. It's a fickle thing, but when it does turn out... it's excellent. It makes a perfect glaze for meats, a spread for toast or English muffins, or is the perfect and unexpected filling to mini-tart shells.

Of all the meals that I've made, I think this one was the one that received the most compliments. I made a pork tenderloin with roasted pear spears and sliced onions. It's an unexpected combination that works. One wouldn't automatically put pears and onions together, (at least I wouldn't), but roasted together in a covered ceramic dish that my sister Sheila made, tossed in olive oil and salt and pepper, the disparate ingredients melded perfectly. After pan searing, the pork tenderloin was added to the mixture and drenched in a garlic, maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar glaze. The meat turned out so tender and succulent. Knives weren't needed here; a fork sufficed!

9 comments:

Lorelei Eurto said...

yummmmmmm.

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

wow! you guys eat well! it all looks so good.

Anonymous said...

I'm lying in bead reading this, and I'm so hungry now I have to get up and get something to eat.
This all looks divinely yummy!

jeweledrabbit said...

Drool.

Anonymous said...

wow, andrew that looks supremely delicious! and i'm glad to hear that someone's finally used that covered baking dish i made.

Unknown said...

Yall have Resturant hands!!! lol
Did you cover the pork? How do you get it to come out so fork tender Andrew?
Huggs
Janet x

Melissa J. Lee said...

Ummm. You made me think of the movie "Babette's Feast". Have you ever seen it?

Andrew Thornton said...

Ha ha ha... Carter, we know what's on your mind!

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Janet,

Yes I cover it up. I also make sure that it has plenty of liquid to stew in and make super tender. Also, pan searing helps lock in the flavors.