Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles: A Giant Problem...

On our trip back from Hawaii, I had the pleasure of enjoying this marvelous little book by the talented Holly Black. A Giant Problem is the sequel to The Nixie's Song, the first book in the spin-off series of the best-selling Spiderwick Chronicle books. Holly Black skillfully weaves together a thrilling tale of giant-slaying adventure with poignant adolescence struggles and family dynamics. I love the fact that her characters are seemingly real. They could be your neighbors. Despite the fact that they are thrown together in a world infused with magical creatures, they have all too human attributes and aren't flawless super-humans. They are as vulnerable as anyone else and not immune to making mistakes. I like that.

The other thing that really hits the mark with me, is remembering my childhood in Florida. The books in the Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles take place in a shiny new subdivision development in Florida. The book that they use as their primary resource is a new one purchased at a book store. It deviates away from the standard motif of a scary Victorian mansion with an ancient tome passed down through the generations and builds a story that is totally accessible.

I definitely recommend this book and cannot wait for the sequel!

3 comments:

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

Hello Andrew - You've been tagged!

Cristi
2ifbysea-cristi.blogspot.com

BTW - I love your work!

Michelle McGee said...

Spiderwick=love

Andrew Thornton said...

I totally dig Spiderwick!