Friday, April 18, 2008

Sunset in Sunset Park...

When I have a few hours of free time, I am on a determined mission to explore my beloved Brooklyn. I feel that far too often the little treasures of pocket communities are ignored. Thusly, it was exploration time. The destination on this particular mini-adventure: Sunset Park.


I've come across some places that have names that just strike me as being completely ironic. For instance, "Winter Garden" in Florida . But I found that Sunset Park (the park and not the entire neighborhood) was aptly named. It's one of the higher points in Brooklyn and has a lovely Western view of Manhattan and the westward lowlands (that is if you ignore the very prominent Key Foods).


It is always nice to see trees. I love the patterns of tangled tree branches. It reminds me of a line from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke that reads,

"Magic shall be written upon the sky by the rain but they shall not be able to read it;
Magic shall be written on the faces of the stony hills but their minds shall not be able to contain it;
In winter the barren trees shall be a black writing but they shall not understand it."


Above is another view from Sunset Park. From the hilltop, one can see the Statue of Liberty, the skyline of New York, the Staten Island Ferries going to and fro and the twinkling lights of Jersey City across the way. It really is a lovely place to visit... especially at the time of day it is named for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love trees too! Visit my blog to see the lovely trees I captured from Miami and Portland.

Hope you received Bead Romantique. I mailed it to the address on your card!

I also started blogging about FOOD, thanks to you and Cynthia.hahaha.. hope you have been well.. eating ice cream and all! Will see you at Bead and Button for the first time this year.

I have some Japanese tools up your alley. (wink)

Andrew Thornton said...

Oh, I love the picture in your blog. It made me miss Florida just a little bit. I do love the banyan trees.

I did! I'm sorry for not properly thanking you for such a lovely gift. THANK YOU! I'll write about it more when I have a chance to try out one of the projects. I'm just so busy these days it's CRAZY! I'll try to get my package for you out and ready next week sometime. I've been promising sending people stuff for months now... I guess I just need to do it. It's just finding the time to run to the post office that's the killer.

I'm excited to see you at Bead and Button as well. Did you see Cynthia and Greg in Miami?

I once read an article or something that said, "nobody cares what you had for lunch" about ideas for blogging, but I do care. Food is important. For one, it's what keeps you alive. Number two... inspiration is everywhere. Food is just another form of expression and I think that it is as good a place as any to derive creativity.