Saturday, April 19, 2008

Resistance is Futile...

For the past few years, I've lived in the same neighborhood in Brooklyn. The face of East Williamsburg is changing. But all through the building of luxury condos and importation of gourmet cookies and fancy beers, a little old man has been weeding his garden. It's not a substantial piece of land. In fact, it's a small side-yard to one of the brownstones in the neighborhood. Even so, I've seen him over the years lovingly weed his garden on a near daily basis. Lately though, I haven't seen him out. The weather has been so nice and the flowers are beginning to bloom. Normally this time of year he is in his element tending the flowers and seeing that everything is taken care of. But this year, I haven't seen him. Instead I've seen numerous dandelions springing up in his beloved plot of land and just today a "For Sale" sign in the front window.

No comments: