Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Back from Faerie Con...

I am just settling back in after our adventures at Faerie Con 2007 in Philadelphia. What a fun and magical time! For all of the pictures and some brief descriptions of the trip CLICK HERE. I am worn out after such an exciting time. After a long trip up from North Carolina, we got super early every morning after going to bed super late (on account of the Faerie Balls) and worked all day. Exhausting, but fun. Here are a couple highlights from the trip:

Above: We got to meet Holly Black and her husband Theo. Holly Black is the author of the Spiderwick Chronicles. They are such nice people. Cynthia, Theo, and I traded folk-tales and food recipes from the Philippines, noting how much we all have become Americanized. The above picture was taken during the Bad Faeries Ball (and no, my face was not dirty, just covered with blue shimmer that kept wiping off).


Above: (Left) This a picture of Cynthia and I in front of the Green Girl Studios booth with our recent purchases. I got two Folkmanis puppets (an owl and a raven), and Cynthia and I both got leather masks. Cynthia is also wearing a top she picked up from the Faerie Market as well. (Right) Here is an image of Weasel and I in the parking lot outside of the Trocadero Theatre before we went in for the Good Faeries Ball. I'm holding my golden mask in the picture. I didn't get a chance to wear the mask very much, as I couldn't see very well and was afraid that I would trip and impale myself on someone's wings.

Above: It was an honor and a pleasure to meet Caitlin Matthews. We all use her books constantly. She is such a gentle and powerful soul who is intelligent and full of trivia. We talked about Victorian motifs and various old symbols. She's really great.

Faerie Con was an enjoyable time. I can't wait for next year. We've got a sleuth of new ideas and projects ready. It'll be hard to adjust to the real world after the month of preparations and the otherworldly weekend in Philadelphia.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like great fun was had for all!

Andrew Thornton said...

It was a lot of fun! I'm just exhausted. I've got another trade show this weekend, so I'm going to have to work a little magic to get energized again.

Unknown said...

Awww wow you guys look great! Impressed here! I was wondering how yall liked it and all. How was the ball? Was there dancing etc? (thats how I envision a ball) Were some people really eloquently dressed? I sure wish yall had a show in Texas! *sigh* Greg looked wonderful too!

Andrew Thornton said...

Thanks so much, Janet! It was fun. There were two balls and both of them were fun. The first was pretty mellow and a much more relaxed crowd. The second one for Bad Faeries was really crowded and there were lots of sharp costumes with horns and things to poke your eyes out with. But I had fun at both.

Some folks were really very elaborately dressed. Cynthia and I didn't have really crazy costumes this year. We kind of threw them together at the last second. Greg's was pretty cool and he won the costume contest for the boy section.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Will you be so kind as to send me some of your photos from Faerie Con please? I did the PR for it and was running around too much to get a decent variety. I want them from the FC web page and the FC myspace. Be well - Sam
www.excaliburmedia.com
sam.caggiula@verizon.net

Andrew Thornton said...

Hey Sam! Feel free to go to the link in the post to my Flickr account. There are all the photos that I have. You are more than welcome to have them there. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll privately email them to you.

Sunrise TheSea said...

I haven't visited the virtual you in a while. I'm distressed that you never look truly happy in photographs... though I'm sure that it's only the artificiality of film and red rooms and the photographing process. Life is great? Do say yes.

Andrew Thornton said...

Life is well, Alba.

Ulla said...

Wow! How fun - and you look great with pointy ears - how come I didn't notice them before??? Love the owl puppet and golden mask too!