Sunday, May 03, 2020

The Rock Stacker...

I grew up in Florida and have fond memories of the beach. We used to get up super early and go fishing at Sebastian Inlet. When we got tired of fishing (which happened pretty quickly), my siblings and I would collect shells and look for sea glass. We’d stack rocks. Sometimes it was about balance and sometimes it was to see who could make the tallest pile. When I grew up, I discovered that these stacks had a name. They’re called “cairns” and they’re used to mark paths and help find your bearings when you’re lost. We’re living in such an uncertain time... who couldn’t use a little direction? They’re also used to commemorate a place and designate it as special. This is my first mermaid for MerMay! I’m hoping to make an entire collection of mer-creatures.

No comments: