Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Celebration of Pearls Necklace...

When I was a little boy, my mom pulled me aside and dug around a red wicker box. From a jewelry box tucked inside, she produced a large pearl. It wasn’t what you’d think of immediately as a pearl. It was wonky and misshapen. But it was one of her most prized possessions. As she showed it to me, she told me stories of her life in the Philippines and about her mother. The stories she told were almost like fairytales, oftentimes strange and fantastical. Pearls could be magic. Pearls could heal the sick and make miracles. Pearls were wishes and good intentions passed from one generation to the next.
It’s probably no surprise that I love pearls. I work with them often. I think they epitomize the mermaid style. Sometimes after a project, I’ll have a few leftovers. I save these. Sometimes they add just the right touch. This rope necklace includes a rainbow of those “leftovers”. I interspersed some really amazing faceted pearls that you don’t really see very often nowadays and two Tahitian pearls.
It really is a celebration of pearls! It can be worn as a long necklace or wrapped around the wrist as a wrap bracelet.

No comments: