Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Something Old...

When I was thinking about what I would make for the bridal issue advertisement, I instantly thought of that good luck saying, "Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue, put a sixpence in her shoe."  

This is another piece that I made for the ad.  It's "something old" and is a necklace that is composed of vintage Japanese glass pearls from the 50's.  I was lucky enough to have a couple of necklaces and strands of these pearls, which I took apart and used in this design.  I love the vintage Japanese pearls!  Instead of just pearly white, these pearls have a weird greenish shimmer.  They've also got a warm peach glow to them.  As an added bonus, they're all extremely lightweight!  So even this piece, which is quite substantial, is light as a feather around the neck.

I think that the pearls give this piece a sort of regal look.  When I was putting it together, I thought of some of the Elizabethan jewelry that I've seen in museums in the past.  I suppose it's fitting… isn't every bride, queen for a day?

1 comment:

Courtney Breul said...

What a stunning piece!